Sunday, May 27, 2007

I'm a Line Drier...and Proud of It!

I own a dryer. I use my dryer. For some items...like towels, jeans and underwear....I use my dryer exclusively. But many of the items in my laundry get hung to dry. I come from a long line of line dryers. I guess you could say I learned line dryin' at my momma's knee! My mom always hung a lot of her laundry...she even line drys underwear! My grandmothers both had backyard clotheslines; and back beyond them I've got to believe it was line drying all the way!

When I got to college and started doing my own laundry my roommates always thought I was nuts. "Why don't you just throw it in the dryer?" they'd ask as I hung my laundry from my trusty drying rack and on hangers around the room. I'd reply it was just the way I'd been taught.

Now, years later I have to say I do it for several reasons. First, like my mom always said it does make the clothes last longer and stay in nicer condition. That just seems like good stewardship. Second, we save money on our electric bill. And third, I just like it...I like giving the clothes a shake and hearing the crack of them before I hang them up. I like hanging clothes with my girls. I like having a really domestic chore that I'm good at (there are so many I struggle with). I like that my girls enjoy stringing a cord across a room and hanging their doll laundry. I guess I'm raising the next generation of line dryers for this family!

1 comment:

Alice Gunther said...

I love the way clothes smell of fresh air when line dried.

Great homemaking post--thank you.